Get Your Salesperson's Real Estate License
Congratulations on taking the next steps toward becoming a licensed real estate agent! In our 77-Hour Sales Pre-Licensing Course, you’ll learn everything from license law to real estate finance and environmental issues. Upon completion you’ll be well-equipped to take the New York State licensing exam and on your way to joining the ranks of our over 14,000 REALTOR members.
Why Get your Real Estate License?
People pursue their real estate licenses for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Having a flexible schedule that promotes an integration of work with other important parts of life.
- Earning an income and career mobility that more closely reflects the effort you invest as a professional.
- Helping people with one of the biggest decisions they’ll ever make by providing expertise and acting in your client’s best interests.
- Improving your community by actively promoting fair, equitable, and ethical real estate practices.
- Building and maintaining trust-based relationships with clients, and other professionals that can last a lifetime.
The Hudson Gateway Association of REALTORS® (HGAR), School of Real Estate is the only Association-run School in Manhattan, Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, and Orange Counties.
Salesperson licensing courses are offered both in-person and remotely at convenient times, enabling working professionals and those with other obligations to complete the course in less than 8 weeks.
Our NY State Certified Instructors have decades of in-field experience and will share many real-world examples with your education. They’re easily accessible to our students to ensure key concepts are clear and offer review sessions to help you prepare for the New York State licensing exam.
New York State Requirements for Licensing as a Salesperson
- At least 18 years old
- No felony or misdemeanor convictions* (contact NY DOS for clarification)
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be sponsored by a NYS licensed Real Estate Broker
- Successfully completed 77-hour Salesperson Licensing Course – completion includes passing the final exam at the end of the course.
- Pass the NYS Real Estate Salesperson examination ($15) – more information here
- License fee (2 years) - Check DOS for the amount
- Have a current NYS photo driver’s license or non-driver ID card
77-Hour Sales Pre-Licensing Qualifying Course
In-person Attendance Requirements
The Department of State requires 90 percent attendance before you are eligible to sit for the course exam. Please reconsider taking the course if you anticipate more than 7.7 (10%) absence. Absence must be for a reasonable and unavoidable cause. Students missing more than 7.7 hours of classroom time in total (including late arrivals and early departures) must make up the exact classes missed before they may sit for the final exam.
Click Here for In-person HGAR School of Real Estate Licensing Classes (Currently being held via ZOOM)
Online 77-Hour Salesperson Licensing Course Requirements
- Students are given 6 months to complete the course. 30-day paid extensions may be given if needed, but the student must complete the course, including the exam within one year from the original registration date.
- Pass all unit quizzes and practice exam.
- The final exam is an In-person, proctored exam. (locations listed below.)
- Please bring your laptop to take the exam.
Click Here for HGAR Online Real Estate Licensing Classes
Proctored Exam Locations
- HGAR White Plains - One Maple Ave, White Plains, NY 10605
- HGAR Goshen - 9 Coates Drive, Suite 1, Goshen, NY 10924
To Schedule an appointment to take your final exam
Call 914-681-0833 or email:
- To Schedule an appointment at our White Plains location email Lisa at [email protected]
- To Schedule an appointment at our Goshen location email Jessica at [email protected]