Congratulations on taking the next steps toward becoming a licensed real estate agent! In our NY 77-Hour Salesperson Course, you’ll learn everything from license law to real estate finance and environmental issues. Upon completion you’ll be well-equipped to take the New York State licensing exam and on your way to joining the ranks of our over 14,000 REALTOR members.
Why Get your Real Estate License?
People pursue their real estate licenses for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Having a flexible schedule that promotes an integration of work with other important parts of life.
- Earning an income and career mobility that more closely reflects the effort you invest as a professional.
- Helping people with one of the biggest decisions they’ll ever make by providing expertise and acting in your client’s best interests.
- Improving your community by actively promoting fair, equitable, and ethical real estate practices.
- Building and maintaining trust-based relationships with clients, and other professionals that can last a lifetime.
The Hudson Gateway Association of REALTORS® (HGAR), School of Real Estate is the only Association-run School in Manhattan, Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, and Orange Counties.
Salesperson licensing courses are offered both in-person and remotely at convenient times, enabling working professionals and those with other obligations to complete the course in less than 8 weeks.
Our NY State Certified Instructors have decades of in-field experience and will share many real-world examples with your education. They’re easily accessible to our students to ensure key concepts are clear and offer review sessions to help you prepare for the New York State licensing exam.
New York State Requirements for Licensing as a Salesperson
- At least 18 years old at the time you apply
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Have a sponsoring NYS-licensed Real Estate Broker
- Successfully completed NY 77-hour Salesperson Course* – completion includes passing the in-person proctored exam at the end of the course.
- Pass the NYS Real Estate Salesperson exam ($15) – more information here
- License fee (2 years) - Check DOS for the amount
- Have a current NYS photo driver’s license or non-driver ID card
*If you completed the 75-hour Salesperson course: Complete a two-hour continuing education course on fair housing and/or implicit bias to qualify for licensure.
*If you completed the 45-hour Salesperson course prior to July 1, 2008: Complete the 30-hour remedial course and two-hour continuing education course on fair housing and/or implicit bias in order to qualify for licensure.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Before you apply for your original salesperson license you must successfully:
- Complete the Salesperson’s course, which includes 77-hours of education and an in-person proctored exam.
- Pass the NYS Real Estate Salesperson exam.
NY 77-Hour Salesperson Course
In-person Attendance Requirements
The Department of State requires 90 percent attendance before you are eligible to sit for the course exam. Please reconsider taking the course if you anticipate more than 7.7 (10%) absence. Absence must be for a reasonable and unavoidable cause. Students missing more than 7.7 hours of classroom time in total (including late arrivals and early departures) must make up the exact classes missed before they may sit for the in-person proctored exam.
Click Here for In-person HGAR School of Real Estate Licensing Classes (Currently being held via ZOOM)
Online NY 77-Hour Salesperson Course Requirements
- Students are given 6 months to complete the course. 30-day paid extensions may be given if needed, but the student must complete the course, including the exam within one year from the original registration date.
- Pass all unit quizzes and practice exam.
- The final exam is an In-person, proctored exam. (locations listed below.)
- Please bring your laptop to take the exam.
Click Here for HGAR Online Real Estate Licensing Classes
Proctored Exam Locations
- HGAR White Plains - One Maple Ave, White Plains, NY 10605
- HGAR Goshen - 9 Coates Drive, Suite 1, Goshen, NY 10924
To Schedule an appointment to take your in-person proctored exam
Call 914-681-0833 or email:
- To Schedule an appointment at our White Plains location email Lisa at [email protected]
- To Schedule an appointment at our Goshen location email Jessica at [email protected]
School and NYS Exams
HGAR’s Salesperson Course exam:
- is an in-person, proctored exam
- 75-100 questions
- Three hours to complete.
- Passing grade is 70%.
- Bring a government-issued picture ID
- Two (2) separate attempts to pass exam
- Students failing the exam a second time will be required to pay for and complete the entire course again should they wish to continue.
NYS Real Estate Salesperson exam
You can schedule a test date for the state exam by logging on to the Department of States website here, and creating an account. This is also the NY Department of State's real estate management system where you will apply for your license and eventually renew your license.